2 visiting US cell phones in London

Forums Forums Questions answered 2 visiting US cell phones in London

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Steve Bryant
    Participant

My wife and I are visiting London. I want to call her on her cell phone from my cell phone. Local number, say, is 812-555-1212. What do I dial when she and I are in London?

jaunty_mellifluous
    Participant

Is she going to have a U.S based cell phone with international roaming? In that case you have to dial her number normally just like you dial when you are in U.S.

Steve Bryant
    Participant

Yes. Thanks.

admin
    Participant

Steve,
    I think Jaunty above misread your question. If you and your wife will both be in London with US based cell phones, in order to call her you will have to dial the following: 00 1 812-555-1212. The call will be routed to the US and back to London. You and your wife will both get charged international rates (usually not low).

If your phones use the GSM technology you might be better off buying prepaid SIM cards with local London cell numbers (I think they are called Pay as you go).

Steve Bryant
    Participant

Re the international rate, ATT offers a World Traveler 5.99/month for international roaming that reduces the roaming charge from !.39/minute to 0.99/minute. Do you know if that is the full cost of such a call for us (I assume that both my wife and I would be charged the 0.99/minute rate), or is there also an “international long distance” fee in addition to the roaming fee? Again this is for the situation of us both visiting London with U.S.based cell phones.

We’ll also look into the prepaid SIM cards.

jaunty_mellifluous
    Participant

I’m not exactly sure bout the rates. But what you just mentioned sounds like an expensive plan. It would probably be better to get cheap SIM cards from U.K once you guys get there.

You can actually make a search for U.K based prepaid SIM cards and get an idea what you might have to pay.

You can call AT&T for furthur clarification regarding the rates.

jaunty_mellifluous
    Participant

Wow, I just noticed Admin’s reply on Steve’s first post. lol. Must have missed it. Thanks, Dan.

admin
    Participant

You’re welcome Jaunty.

Steve,
    I believe the fee and rate you mentioned are for just one phone, so in order to use two phones you both would be charged. Here’s the logic behind this: when you call your wife from London you pay your charges for placing an international call to the US. The call is then routed back to the UK and your wife also has to pay charges for receiving the call to the UK. This is how international roaming works. If you would be in the UK and your wife at home in the US then only you would pay for calling or receiving calls. So, unless you have some special family plan from AT&T I think you’ll both incur these fees. It wouldn’t hurt to call AT&T to make sure.

Steve Bryant
    Participant

Thanks. Yes, I understood two fees. I also understand that the fee could show up months later, when I no longer have an international call plan, and could have to pay a higher fee because of when the fee shows up. I’ll be having a long chat with ATT before trying anything.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam