Calling/Texting from Ukraine to USA, help?

Forums Forums Questions answered Calling/Texting from Ukraine to USA, help?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    zergling128
    Participant

Hi, a lot of websites keep confusing this seemingly simple task. I know that the person in Ukraine has to dial 00 first. BUT, the person can also just use a + sign, am I right? 00 and + mean the same thing?

So essentially. To call from there to USA would simply look like +1 555-555-5555. Am I right?

or they can do 00 1 555-555-5555. ?

admin
    Participant

Hello,

You are right, either +1 or 001 would work in this case. However, using the plus sign isn’t possible with any phone. Mostly cell phones allow using + and still, the “official” way to dial internationally is by using an IDD code (00 for Europe, 011 for the US and Canada and so on).

One question: do you find our dialing instructions confusing? If so please explain, I always appreciate criticism.

Thank you.

zergling128
    Participant

Gotcha. Well the only thing that confuses me is when its written as dial 00 + 1 + (phone number)

Because being a computer repair technician, I pay too much attention to detail. So I’m thinking the other person had to enter in the + signs in to the phone. And some other websites said to dial 0~0 (whatever that tilde is supposed to mean). And sometimes its not listed that I can just do +1 555 555 5555 rather than the official way, which now I know both ways 🙂 Thanks for your help! One more question though.

My friend was able to text me, but the number begins with 011 380… I know 380 is the ukraine country code. And 011? Why is that in there too?

admin
    Participant

It seems that your carrier automatically adds 011 to international phone numbers – in order to call or text this number you would have to add 011 anyway (or + of course:)

Thanks for being straightforward – other people have also asked me “do I have to actually dial the plus signs?”. I even wrote an article explaining plus signs used on this website. Hopefully I will soon find a way to more clearly present dialing instructions.

zergling128
    Participant

Hey, I’m back. I have a different friend now trying to contact me and she gsve me a number beginning with 380 XXX XXX. However I can’t even find a cell phone network code beginning with 38. So doing 011 380 380 XXX XXX, my friend doesn’t receive my text and same thing with just +380 380 XXX XXX. I know she didn’t mean to give me the country code because it would be weird if her number was only 6 digits. So either she left something out or what?

admin
    Participant

My guess is that the starting 380 is the country code and she either gave you some special short number that can’t be called from outside the Ukraine or the number is incomplete.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam