cell international calling vs landline international calling

Forums Forums Questions answered cell international calling vs landline international calling

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jo Anne
    Participant

I have purchased an international sim card for my unlocked iphone 4s. I will be traveling to 5 different countries all in Europe. The company has given me lots of information, but after reading different things online I am confused about cell to cell international calling…to and from Europe. Is there any difference in how to dial (cell vs landline)? My kids only use cell phones…no land lines. (It is after hours to call them, so I’m asking you!) I have a UK number. I’m pretty sure that they just dial 011 447 and then the rest. I am told to just dial *1+area code + number+# to call out, but I am not sure if that is just for a landline.

admin
    Participant

Hello Jo Anne,

When using a landline to place calls you can not dial + because the phone’s keyboard generally doesn’t allow it. You can use + with any cell phone. The plus sign replaces the international access code (also known as Exit code) required to dial internationally.

When calling internationally from the UK and any European country the exit code is 00. In order to call back to the US you either use 00 1 plus area code plus local number from any phone or, you can also use +1 ??? ??? ???? when calling from a cell phone.

You are correct about how your kids should contact your UK cell from the US (011 44 7?? ??? ????).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam