Cell to Cell- from US to Europe

Forums Forums Questions answered Cell to Cell- from US to Europe

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    perrya
    Participant

I have a US cell phone trying to call another US cellphone in Germany. When I dial, I do: 01149241xxxxxxx. It rings and then a message states it is the incorrect code. 241 is the correct city code. Another time, the phone beeped once and went dead.

Does the cell phone I am calling in Germany need to be in that city for it to work? I mean, what if the hotel is in Aachen but when I call, the cell phone is in a different city? Will it still connect? If calling a cellphone in Germany needs a different code, what is it?

admin
    Participant

Hello,
    Calling a US cell phone located in Germany does not mean you add Germany’s country code to it. You ought to call it as if you were dialing back to the US (which is how the connection is made). This is what you should dial: 00 1 241 and so on.

Here’s more on how international roaming works

admin
    Participant

Hello again – sorry, I first misread your post (the above is correct for two US cell phones both located in Germany and trying to contact each other, also, I was under the impression that 241 was the US area code of the cell you’ve been trying to call).

So you are actually trying to call your friend’s US cell phone and you are in the US and they are in Germany. OK, if so you do not need to change anything in the way you dial your friend’s number – just pretend they are still in the US and dial the number like you usually do. The above link on international roaming is still helpful.

perrya
    Participant

Thanks,I have dialed the number correctly as suspected. However, after it rings, I get a message stating it is the wrong code. The cell I am calling is an Apple 4S. Is it possible that when I called, the cell phone location was not in Aachen (241) but in a nearby city with a different code? if so, why cannot I at least leave a message? In another time, the number I dialed was 011492417998855. It rang and the person was not whom I wanted. I asked what number their phone was, they said, 79988 not 7998855. The call did go to Aachen, however. So, the last two digits (55) were not dialed at the receiving end. Calling on a landline is much more reliable.

admin
    Participant

I don’t think you’ve read my previous message. You aren’t dialing correctly. If you are calling to a US cell located in Germany you DO NOT have to add Germany’s country code or any international codes. Just dial the US number the exact same way you dial it when this friend of yours is at home in the US.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam