HowtoCallAbroad.com forums » Questions answered

Please help! Daughter is studying abroad in South Korea

(4 posts)
  1. htherjo

Hello!

Any help you can give is so greatly appreciated! My daughter is studying in South Korea for the Spring semester and took her iPhone with her. We have Verizon and had the Global plan turned on for her. She can call us and we can talk to her just fine, but no one in South Korea can call her. She also cannot receive calls from anyone besides her dad and I, I'm thinking some kind of family plan thing. Can anyone help us figure out how to call into an American phone while in South Korea? Maybe we're over thinking it...

Posted 2 years ago #
  2. jaunty_mellifluous

Reason why people they can't call her is because her number is International for them. It's like calling America from South Korea for them. She should probably get a local SIM from there as well so that locals can call her there on her phone on that number.

But to call her local SIM if she decides to get one you will have to dial differently.

Posted 2 years ago #
  3. admin
    Key Master

As stated above, for your daughter to receive calls from people in South Korea they must dial as if she were in the US: 001 1 ??? ??? ????. They will also pay international charges. I'm not sure why people from the US haven't been able to reach her - make sure they know how to dial (some people don't realize that they don't need to add any international dialing codes; just have them dial her regular US number with no additions to it). Although I haven't heard of this plan allowing only family members to call someone carrying their phone in another country, it is possible that Verizon has this option. You should know better (calling Verizon might help). Also, I found the page below providing some dialing instructions for people roaming in SK:
    http://businessportals.verizonwireless.com/international/traveling_to/Asia-Pacific/South%20Korea.html

At least for communicating within South Korea your daughter would likely be better off buying a local SIM card - this way locals would be able to call her without incurring international charges (she would probably pay less too). If she also wants to keep her US number she could get a basic low cost prepaid phone/plan.

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. htherjo

Thank you so much for your help! I didn't realize the folks in South Korea would incur international charges...that alone made us decide to get her a local SIM card. Again, thanks for your help!

Posted 2 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.