SMS/texting from Norway to Canada (koodomobile)

Forums Forums Questions answered SMS/texting from Norway to Canada (koodomobile)

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    anderfo
    Participant

Hi,
    at the moment I live in Canada and I got a Canadian cell phone from Koodomobile.

My parents in Norway are able to call me at +1 506 ??? ???? but their text messages never arrive. I have tried to get help from Koodomobile but they have no solution that has worked yet. They told them to skip the “+” sign, but then they could not send the message. And they have tried exchanging “+” with “00” but it did not help.

One month ago I had another operator here, Rogers wireless, with a SIM card in my Norwegian phone and with the same number +1 506 ??? ???? and then all messages arrived immediately.

My parents definitely have possibilities to send messages abroad, so that is not the problem. They have two different Norwegian operators and both have the same problem.
    However they are able to send me messages from Skype, to +1 506 ??? ???? and they arrive, sometimes late but usually immediately.

Let me add that I have a friend in Czech republic that can easily send me messages, and she uses the number +1 506 ??? ????.

What can my parents do to send me text messages when they don’t have Skype available?

admin
    Participant

Hi,

There are 2 main different wireless technologies currently used in the world: GSM and CDMA. European countries use mostly the GSM technology while the latter is prevalently used in North America and other continents. Although SMS messages are GSM based, texting between phones using the two technologies generally work today. However, incompatibilities still exist and while I can not say for sure why you can’t receive SMS messages from your parents I believe it’s either an incompatibility between the two networks or your phone is not capable of displaying/receiving SMS messages. The Koodomobile network is CDMA while Rogers uses GSM. Your friend in the Czech Republic is probably using Telefonica (a CDMA operator) and this is why you are able to receive her messages. In Norway, there is a company called IceNet ( https://www.ice.no ) using CDMA – perhaps you want to ask your parents to try sending you a message from a phone using this provider to see if it works.

viking
    Participant

I have the same problem – messages from norway is not received on my phone which has a Fido plan. Fido is owned by Rogers and are using the same wireless network.

anderfo: did you find a solution to your problem?

anderfo
    Participant

hey, i still have the same problem, messages don’t work. i finally gave up and send messages through skype instead. anyway i’m soon going home..

viking
    Participant

Ok. Thanks for the feedback. It was interresting to read that your messages came through when you used Rogers though. Have a safe flight home to Norge 🙂

anderfo
    Participant

Yes it’s probably just because Roges use GSM. However they are crazy expensive if you would like to surf the internet or something like that, they charged me about $20/MB and I couldn’t access any of the sites I needed…except facebook…so I gave it up after a few days.
    Thanks!

viking
    Participant

I have a Fido plan (and they are using the Rogers network). Fido has some reasonable plans and agreements with both Telenor and NetCom. I also have a mobile plan with Telenor and are using it to submit an issue.

Telenor blamed Fido. Fido blamed Telenor. Telenor is claiming that the message is sent to the text message hub in Canada and are suggesting Fido to check their 3rd party text msg hub partner (I don’t know who the partner is). Fido claims that “all is good” on their side.

I still have an open case with Telenor – and they are still troubleshooting the issues. They have spent some time trying to fix this. And i will post an update when I know more….

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam