HowtoCallAbroad.com forums » Questions answered

Call US from Mexico on cell

(6 posts)
  1. mtrevors

What is the best way to avoid international roaming and call the USA from your cell: Skype, vonage mobile or other? need to call my office or assistant while in cancun next month, many thanks!

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. admin
    Key Master

Hello,

These services use a similar technology so both would work well. What matters is that you have access to a fast Internet connection. If the connection is not good and/or the wifi signal is weak call quality can be a nightmare.

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. mtrevors

was trying to test this in my office on iphone in airplane mode but did not work. Not sure how to set phone to avoid data charges when in Mexico but still able to use Skype or similar services?

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. admin
    Key Master

I use a different type of smartphone. First of all you should have an app installed on your iPhone for Skype or Vonage or both. In order to call you need to connect to a WiFi connection likely provided by the hotel you'll be staying in. Once connected open one of these apps and place your calls via the WiFi connection.

My smartphone has a Settings option where I can turn on or off both WiFi and carrier provided Internet connections. So if you want to make sure you're not going to place the call using the carrier provided data plan look for the option to turn it off.

Not sure why you're trying to call in Airplane mode. As far as I am aware, even if you have a subscription to an inflight WiFi plan they don't allow calls using Voice over IP.

Posted 4 years ago #
  5. mtrevors

was just using airplane mode to make sure data and cell services are off on phone

Posted 4 years ago #
  6. admin
    Key Master

OK I see.

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.