Call US from Mexico on cell

Forums Forums Questions answered Call US from Mexico on cell

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mtrevors
    Participant

What is the best way to avoid international roaming and call the USA from your cell: Skype, vonage mobile or other? need to call my office or assistant while in cancun next month, many thanks!

admin
    Participant

Hello,

These services use a similar technology so both would work well. What matters is that you have access to a fast Internet connection. If the connection is not good and/or the wifi signal is weak call quality can be a nightmare.

mtrevors
    Participant

was trying to test this in my office on iphone in airplane mode but did not work. Not sure how to set phone to avoid data charges when in Mexico but still able to use Skype or similar services?

admin
    Participant

I use a different type of smartphone. First of all you should have an app installed on your iPhone for Skype or Vonage or both. In order to call you need to connect to a WiFi connection likely provided by the hotel you’ll be staying in. Once connected open one of these apps and place your calls via the WiFi connection.

My smartphone has a Settings option where I can turn on or off both WiFi and carrier provided Internet connections. So if you want to make sure you’re not going to place the call using the carrier provided data plan look for the option to turn it off.

Not sure why you’re trying to call in Airplane mode. As far as I am aware, even if you have a subscription to an inflight WiFi plan they don’t allow calls using Voice over IP.

mtrevors
    Participant

was just using airplane mode to make sure data and cell services are off on phone

admin
    Participant

OK I see.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam