Calling a mobile in Argentina

Forums Forums Questions answered Calling a mobile in Argentina

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    macasas
    Participant

Hello everyone

I want to call a mobile in Argentina. This is what I would normally dial when the cell phone is at home in the area it was purchased, Posadas in the north.

+ 54 9 3752 xxxxxx

3752 is the area code for Posadas, Misiones, but this is not working at the moment, it goes straight to answer machine, because the phone is in Bariloche in the South. So my question is

Do I need to change this number somehow so that it works in other areas. The area code for Bariloche is 2944 but
    +54 9 2944 xxxxxx does not exist.

I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this.

Thanks

admin
    Participant

Hello,

You definitely do not need to change the area code, even if they traveled abroad. I suspect there is a problem on their end. For example, the cell might be located in a non coverage area or it might be turned off. I suspect Argentinians do not need to activate a roaming plan when traveling within Argentina (usually this is required when people take their cell with them when traveling to another country).

macasas
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. The phone is apparently on, but has yet to receive a single call made, I only get 4 rings and then the answer machine message. Strange, but then it is South America 🙂 Keep up the good work.

admin
    Participant

Cell phones usually do this – automatically let the answering service pick up after 4 rings. Are you saying that you communicated with this person and they’re not seing any missed calls from you?

macasas
    Participant

No, I am unable to contact this person.

Sometimes it rings 4 times and goes to voice. Other times it goes straight to voice mail. Within the last 24 hours it has just rung and rung without any answer message. The ringing tone has changed its rhythm, if that makes sense and then after quite a few rings it just cuts off.

I am thinking the phone is apparently on because here in the UK, if the person is on the phone it will go straight to voice mail. I have been in other South American countries and calling from Europe has never been easy.

admin
    Participant

You are right, if the phone rings it generally means it is on (although it is possible to deactivate your voicemail and in this case the called phone appears to ring even when it is off – not the case here though). I really don’t know what to tell you other than that you are using the correct sequence to dial this number.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam