HowtoCallAbroad.com forums » Questions answered

calling from US to a cell phone in Cambodia

(3 posts)
  1. sekelly1

My son is in Phnom Phen (sp?) Anyway, he has a cell phone which has the telephone number
    088-431-44xx. I know that the zero in front of the 088 needs to be dropped. That doesn't help -- I get a message that the number is not in service. I have found references on the internet about all cell phones in Cambodia needing to have an area code that starts with a 9 or a 1. I have tried every possible combination of number imaginable and always get a recording saying no such number exists. I have never gotten a actual working number.

It also seems to me that there is an extra number in his telephone number based on the numbers I have seen for Cambodia -- do you have any insight on this problem?

Thanks.

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. admin
    Key Master

Hello,
    You are correct, Cambodian cell numbers are 8 digit and start with either 1 or 9. Moreover, no landlines in this country start with 8 so this is not a landline either. The only possibility that comes to mind - cell phone numbers in neighboring Thailand are 9 digit and start with 8. This may sound absurd, but maybe your son uses a Thai cell with some kind of roaming agreement. In this case you would call 011 66 88 and so on.

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. admin
    Key Master

After doing some more research I have found that new Cambodian mobile phone codes have been assigned and these are 9 digit and may start with 8 as well so your son's number is likely correct. May I have the complete number again - I will try to dial it to see what happens.

I have also updated our main page on calling to Cambodia with the new mobile codes.

Posted 6 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.