calling from US to a cell phone in Cambodia

Forums Forums Questions answered calling from US to a cell phone in Cambodia

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sekelly1
    Participant

My son is in Phnom Phen (sp?) Anyway, he has a cell phone which has the telephone number
    088-431-44xx. I know that the zero in front of the 088 needs to be dropped. That doesn’t help — I get a message that the number is not in service. I have found references on the internet about all cell phones in Cambodia needing to have an area code that starts with a 9 or a 1. I have tried every possible combination of number imaginable and always get a recording saying no such number exists. I have never gotten a actual working number.

It also seems to me that there is an extra number in his telephone number based on the numbers I have seen for Cambodia — do you have any insight on this problem?

Thanks.

admin
    Participant

Hello,
    You are correct, Cambodian cell numbers are 8 digit and start with either 1 or 9. Moreover, no landlines in this country start with 8 so this is not a landline either. The only possibility that comes to mind – cell phone numbers in neighboring Thailand are 9 digit and start with 8. This may sound absurd, but maybe your son uses a Thai cell with some kind of roaming agreement. In this case you would call 011 66 88 and so on.

admin
    Participant

After doing some more research I have found that new Cambodian mobile phone codes have been assigned and these are 9 digit and may start with 8 as well so your son’s number is likely correct. May I have the complete number again – I will try to dial it to see what happens.

I have also updated our main page on calling to Cambodia with the new mobile codes.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam