Calling US cell phone from Kenya

Forums Forums Questions answered Calling US cell phone from Kenya

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    iammoonstance
    Participant

What is the most economical way to call my husband’s cell Phone in the U.S. from Kenya? Should I buy an inexpensive cell in Kenya or a calling card to use from hotel’s phones?

admin
    Participant

Hello,

This depends. Are you going to make just a few calls or are you going to be in Kenya for a longer period? Also, I don’t know what your hotel would charge to access an outside line. In my experience hotels charge quite hefty fees for just about any extra service.

Big wireless providers have service in Kenya. I would go to them and ask for a solution. Here’s one:
    https://telkom.co.ke/

Click on the link above and look for ‘Mobile/International rates’. If you’re going to be in Kenya for a year or less I would go with a PAYG (pay as you go) plan because it doesn’t require signing a contract. After doing the currency exchange from local currency into US dollars I believe they charge about 20 cents/min to call the US with a PAYG plan. A cheaper way to call would be to use a smart phone with a WIFI connection and place calls via Skype or other VoIP service. Or you could call via Orange if they provide reasonably priced broadband service.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam