calling US cell phone to US cell phone when both are abroad

Forums Forums Questions answered calling US cell phone to US cell phone when both are abroad

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wbeachey
    Participant

When my wife and I are both abroad with our US cell phones, can we call/text each other same as if we were both in the USA–or do we need to add +1 in front of our USA numbers?

admin
    Participant

Hello,
    You should use +1 when dialing another US mobile phone when traveling abroad, even if the US mobile phone is next door.

wbeachey
    Participant

Thanks for your response: Two additional quick questions:(I’ve received contradictory answers from other sources):

(1) When I’m abroad with my US cell phone and I want to call a local number in that country, do I simply enter the number as though I were a native of the country, or do I need to first enter the country code? (My understanding is that in this case I do not dial the US exit code.)

(2) When I’m in the USA and I call another country, my understanding is that I must first enter the USA exit code 011 before the country code. Some sources tell me it will also work to simply enter + in place of 011. Another source tells me +1 substitutes for 011. Still other sources tell me it must be 011. Which is it?

admin
    Participant

1. The US exit code (011) is definitely not needed when using your US cell phone abroad. An exit code is however needed to dial to another country. For example, all European countries use 00 instead of 011.

Indeed, your phone becomes a local phone for calls made to local numbers so just dial what locals dial.

2. All sources are correct: the plus sign replaces 011 for international calls originating in the USA. Therefore you may use + or 011 (never both). Landline phones do not have a + key so you’d have to use 011.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam