forums » Questions answered

calling US cell phone to US cell phone when both are abroad

(4 posts)
  1. wbeachey

    When my wife and I are both abroad with our US cell phones, can we call/text each other same as if we were both in the USA--or do we need to add +1 in front of our USA numbers?

    Posted 4 years ago #
  2. admin
    Key Master

    You should use +1 when dialing another US mobile phone when traveling abroad, even if the US mobile phone is next door.

    Posted 4 years ago #
  3. wbeachey

    Thanks for your response: Two additional quick questions:(I've received contradictory answers from other sources):

    (1) When I'm abroad with my US cell phone and I want to call a local number in that country, do I simply enter the number as though I were a native of the country, or do I need to first enter the country code? (My understanding is that in this case I do not dial the US exit code.)

    (2) When I'm in the USA and I call another country, my understanding is that I must first enter the USA exit code 011 before the country code. Some sources tell me it will also work to simply enter + in place of 011. Another source tells me +1 substitutes for 011. Still other sources tell me it must be 011. Which is it?

    Posted 4 years ago #
  4. admin
    Key Master

    1. The US exit code (011) is definitely not needed when using your US cell phone abroad. An exit code is however needed to dial to another country. For example, all European countries use 00 instead of 011.

    Indeed, your phone becomes a local phone for calls made to local numbers so just dial what locals dial.

    2. All sources are correct: the plus sign replaces 011 for international calls originating in the USA. Therefore you may use + or 011 (never both). Landline phones do not have a + key so you'd have to use 011.

    Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic


You must log in to post.