cell phone use in Germany

Forums Forums Questions answered cell phone use in Germany

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    traveller
    Participant

I will be using an American, Verizon Iphone 5c in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Liechtenstein. I’m leading a tour group of other Americans, and will have a co-leader who is from Germany and has a German cell phone. I need to know:

1) How other people on my tour, who are also using American cell phones, will call my phone number while we are both abroad in the same country
    2) How I should call German cell phones and landlines from my cell, while I’m in Germany
    3) How I should call a German cell phone from my cell, while both of us are in one of the other countries
    4) How people in the US can contact me on my cell phone

Ugh! Thanks 🙂

admin
    Participant

Hello,

1) Anyone who needs to call you must dial your US number as if you were in the US (this is how international roaming works – they call your complete US number, the call goes through the US and then Verizon redirects it back to wherever you are). So, your American friends in Europe and anyone in any of the European countries you’ll be in should dial the following: 00 1 ??? ??? ????. The last 10 digits are the area code and local number.

2) To call German telephone numbers from Germany just dial what locals dial. For example, German cell phone numbers have a national dialing format (they all start with 01 when called from Germany and do not use geographical area codes). Here’s one example: 015 ???? ????. This is what you will dial. For more info please refer to the link below:
    https://www.howtocallabroad.com/results.php?callfrom=germany&callto=germany

3) To call a German cell phone from any other European country you should leave out the starting zero above and dial: 00 49 1 ???? ????. 49 is Germany’s country code and 00 is the code you use to dial internationally from any EU country. Note that some German cell numbers may have more digits.

4) People in the US do not need to change anything in the way they dial your cell phone.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam