Cheap way to call China from US

Forums Forums Questions answered Cheap way to call China from US

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Crystalmorgan
    Participant

Do you have any advice on the cheapest way to make calls between the US and China? My cell is going to be way too expensive, a friend told me to get a throw away cell when I get to Beijing. I’m going for 10 days with an international study abroad program.

Thank you for your time,
    Crystal Morgan

admin
    Participant

Hi Crystal,

As a general rule I can confirm that using a cellular phone abroad for placing and receiving calls can get expensive. It wouldn’t hurt to ask your wireless provider what the rates are. As for getting a Chinese cell just for your stay there – yes, this is a good option, but again before buying it you should inquire about rates charged.

Another option would be for you to use a calling card service. These usually charge much lower rates (we list such a service at the bottom of each country page – for example https://www.howtocallabroad.com/china/). You could either use this type of service from a local chinese landline or in connection with the throw away cell you intend to buy. Obviously the first option would be the least expensive, but people would not be able to call you.

Crystalmorgan
    Participant

Thank you, I appreciate the advice and time!

Great website and excellent service! 🙂

Crystal Morgan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam