HowtoCallAbroad.com forums » Questions answered

China to US restricted on certain US carriers only?

(6 posts)
  1. GlennP

I have a friend here in the U.S. who just switched from T-Mobile to MetroPCS and she can no longer receive texts from her mother in China. The Chinese carrier her mother has tells her that MetroPCS is not under contract with them as T-Moblie and others were/are.

Does this sound right to you? Thanks.

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. admin
    Key Master

TMobile uses GSM technology while MetroPCS uses CDMA. Sometimes different technologies used by 2 cellular providers can cause problems with text message delivery. I believe this is what the Chinese carrier rep. was trying to say.

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. GlennP

I see and thanks for the speedy response. Do you know of any way around this?

Posted 8 years ago #
  4. GlennP

This is the list the Chinese carrier gave us for the providers who are under contract and are therefore compatible. I noticed that Verizon uses GSM, yet are on the list of compatible carriers. Any ideas on this?

ATTDMA,
    CINGULAR,
    PCSONE,
    VOICESTREAM,
    CELLONE,
    DOBSON,
    CENTENNIAL
    PRIMCO,
    USCELLWWL,
    VERIZON,
    LEAP,
    WIRELESS,
    TRITEL,
    SUNCOM,
    TRITION,
    CENTURYTEL,
    CINCINNATI BELL,
    CINGULAR,
    NEXTEL,
    NEXTELTAR,
    PARTNERS

Posted 8 years ago #
  5. admin
    Key Master

You mean Verizon doesn't use GSM. Well it is possible that only providers that have a contract with the Chinese carrier can receive texts. The only way around this would be to either change the Chinese carrier or the US one. Or find an online service that lets you send text messages. One example: Talksms.com

Posted 8 years ago #
  6. GlennP

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.