contact number format that works anywhere

Forums Forums Questions answered contact number format that works anywhere

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    gsainc
    Participant

Is there a way to specify my contact phone numbers in my Smartphone (iPhone) such that the contact’s phone number can be dialed as is from any location?

It’s frustrating to require the phone number I have in my contact database be modified appropriately – according to my physical location – in order to successfully complete the call when I travel.

admin
    Participant

The international dialing format that generally works when using a cell phone anywhere is: + followed by country code and phone number. For example, a US number would look like: +1 ??? ??? ????. You have to literally add the plus sign before 1. This way, whenever you are in a foreign country the plus sign replaces the international access code for that country. This should also work for local and state to state calls, although I am not 100% sure it will work with all carriers so you’re gonna have to test it before editing all the phone numbers in your address book. Also make sure that, when dialing +1 ??? ??? ???? for a local call that would otherwise require just the 7 digit local number, the carrier recognizes it is a local call and charges it accordingly.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam