European cell phone query

Forums Forums Questions answered European cell phone query

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    nwaite
    Participant

Hi – My daughter will be travelling in Europe from Sept 2013 – March 2014. We live in Canada. (Nova Scotia) My cell phone provider has suggested I get an unlocked phone like an iphone 4 so that my daughter can i-message/facetime with us, but not use it for calls, as it’s expensive. However, that’s no good for non-Apple people, so what she really needs is an international texting plan so that she can contact all friends and family in Europe. Should she buy a cheap disposable phone over in Austria and get a SIM card, where she begins her trip, or should she take an iphone with her and get a texting plan or app over there. Who has some good advice? THanks!

admin
    Participant

Hello,

With an unlocked iPhone your daughter can use any SIM card, including a European SIM. In addition, there are so many apps she could use. For example, she could place calls or send texts using Rebtel or Skype ( https://www.rebtel.com and https://www.skype.com ). Both charge reasonable rates – of course, she would have to have access to a WIFI connection to use these apps without paying extra.

Using a European SIM either with the unlocked iPhone or with a cheap phone bought over there to place calls within Europe may be a good idea because roaming charges in Europe are not too high. Still, placing calls/sending texts via the apps mentioned above would be cheaper. In other words, use the apps via WIFI when possible and for other more urgent needs use the local SIM.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam