From chile, how to call US with calling card

Forums Forums Questions answered From chile, how to call US with calling card

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    maverick02
    Participant

My parents are on vacation in Chile and I set them up with a calling card, but there seems to be some confusion. The access numbers in chile are listed here:

comfi.com/Phone-Card/FastWorld/Global-Access/CHILE

The problem is that they can’t seem to connect to the toll-free number listed on that page. Anyone know exactly what the dialing sequence is to connect to that number?

Thanks.

admin
    Participant

This page describes several situations in which dialing this toll free number may not work:
    -calling from a cell phone
    -payphones
    -hotel phones

It also says that toll free dialing may be blocked from some phones. With all these possible reasons I can’t tell you why the call won’t go through.

My suggestion is to try the Santiago number provided: (2)712-6464. If your parents are in Santiago they most likely have to leave out the starting 2 which is the area code. If outside Santiago try dialing the number as it is and, if it doesn’t work try adding a zero before 2: 02 712 6464.

Let me know if this works.

Dan

maverick02
    Participant

Thanks Dan. I passed this information along to them via email.. I hope they have some luck. I have a feeling the problem was they didn’t prefix the Santiago number with a 0, which I only learned about after visiting this page: https://www.howtocallabroad.com/codes.html

As far as the toll-free number that is listed on the calling card, do you have any ideas how it should be dialed? Maybe drop the 116 and just dial starting from 800? or prefix the 116 with a 0? or drop the 116 and prefix the 800 with a 0? The 116 in that number just seems odd to me.

admin
    Participant

Toll free numbers in Chile are preceded by the area code. For example a 800 number in Santiago has the following format: 2 800 ??? ???. There is no area code 116 – this is probably a national dialing code of some sort. If they list it there it’s likely for a reason. Try adding a zero before 116 to see what happens. Don’t forget however that there is a possibility that the phone your parents use doesn’t work with toll free numbers. Let me know what happens.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam