How do you dial a Canadian cell phone that’s in Sweden?

Forums Forums Questions answered How do you dial a Canadian cell phone that’s in Sweden?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    allanj
    Participant

I’ll be buying my daughter a Calling Card to call me on my Canadian cell phone while I’m in Gothenburg, Sweden. Once she dials the 1-800 number for the Calling Card, then enters the PIN number, does she also have to dial the out of country numbers (011) then the Country code (46 for Sweden) then the City Code (31) for Gothenburg, then my Canadian cell phone area code number (519) for London, Ontario, then my 7 digit phone number? Is this the proper dialing procedure?

And when I call her landline number in Canada from my cell phone while I’m in Sweden while using the same Calling Card, do I first dial 00 to dial out of the country, followed by the 1-800 Calling Card number, followed by the PIN number, followed by my Canadian cell phone number area code (519) followed by my 7 digit phone number?

admin
    Participant

Hi Allan,

That’s not how international roaming works. Your daughter will call you as if you were in Canada (no international codes are needed). Your wireless provider will route the call automatically to the partner Swedish carrier.

Secondly, it doesn’t make sense for you to use the same calling card unless the calling card provider gave you a Sweden local number to call instead of the 1800 number. If you call the Canadian 1800 number from Sweden you will pay for the call (it’s only free when dialed from North America). So you either call your daughter directly from your cell by dialing 00 1 519 ??? ???? (which may get expensive), or you can buy a Sweden calling card with a local number and dial this number to connect. This will not be cheap either. Generally using your cell phone abroad is expensive. I would buy a calling card and use it with a payphone to call back to Canada.

The following page explains in detail how international roaming works.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam