how to call a US cell phone abroad

Forums Forums Questions answered how to call a US cell phone abroad

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Thea G C
    Participant

My husband is in Uganda with his cell phone, which is set up to work internationally (he has phoned home successfully). How do I call him? I’ve tried 011 (US exit code) + 256 (Uganda code) + 471 (city code) + his 10-digit number, and many variations thereof. I’ve tried calling normally, as if he were in US, and it goes straight to voice mail. Thanks.

admin
    Participant

Dialing his number the way you do when he is in the US is the way to go. I can’t tell you why the call triggers his voicemail – either his phone is turned off or he is not in a coverage area.

One other thing: are you sure that he called home using the US phone with the US SIM card? Isn’t it possible that he bought a prepaid SIM card over in Uganda and used it to call home? In this case you would need to know his Uganda number and dial 011 256…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam