How to call using cell phone abroad

Forums Forums Questions answered How to call using cell phone abroad

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    carolepv
    Participant

I will be visiting Mexico with my husband. We’ll both be taking our Canadian cell phones with us.
    I will have an international roaming plan with my carrier allowing free calls and text within Mexico and to Canada – he will not.
    Neither of us will be purchasing SIM cards when in Mexico.

When calling each other within Mexico do I dial:
    Mexican exit code + Canada country + area code + xxx xxxx
    00 1 403 xxx xxxx

OR
    Do I just dial as if we are both still in Canada

Also, When dialing local Mexican numbers what would I do regarding exit codes etc

Thank you

admin
    Participant

Hi Carole,

When traveling abroad with your cell phone the general rule you have to remember is that it becomes local for outgoing calls whereas for incoming calls it is still a Canadian phone; which is pretty logical once you grasp the concept. Incoming calls go through your Canadian operator first and then they are redirected to wherever you are in the world. So your first assumption is correct: 00 1 403 xxx xxxx or you can use the plus sign: +1 403 xxx xxxx. And, to call Mexican phones just use what they use over there for local/national calls – no need to dial international codes.

In regard to your other question: I don’t know why you can’t call the Puerto Vallarta cell number from your landline. I would guess it is an issue with your landline phone service provider – try calling them to inquire about this.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam