Leading zeros in French phone numbers

Forums Forums Questions answered Leading zeros in French phone numbers

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    DanC
    Participant

I have an iPhone 5s. My carrier is Verizon. In preparation for my upcoming trip to France, Verizon sent me dialing instructions that say to dial a French phone number while I am in France I should dial +33 and then the French phone number. The instructions do not say whether or not I should use the leading 0 when I’m in France. Verizon customer support is useless; they don’t even know how French phone numbers are formatted.

Your site says that when I arrive in France I can simply dial the full 10 digit French number with out any international codes. Did I read that correctly?

Please clarify.

admin
    Participant

Hi Dan,

You should be able to either dial French numbers in their national dialing format (leading zero included), or use Verizon’s instructions and dial +33 followed by the French number without the leading zero this time.

Examples:
    06 xx xx xx xx
    +33 6 xx xx xx xx.

Both dialing sequences above should work. The second option is basically the international dialing format of the French phone number, but GSM technology these days is advanced enough to know that you are in fact dialing nationally. Of course, the good thing about using +33 is that the number stays unchanged no matter where you are dialing from.

DanC
    Participant

Thank you! That makes things so simple!

Dan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam