Making calls in Australia/NZ with my US based cell phone

Forums Forums Questions answered Making calls in Australia/NZ with my US based cell phone

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wateron
    Participant

Am going to Australia & New Zealand. Taking my Verizon iPhone. How do I call a local number while I am in these countries? Is it the same as if I was calling these countries from the US

admin
    Participant

Hello,
    It’s not the same as dialing these numbers from the US. You will dial local numbers the way locals do. Example: Australian cell phone: 04 ???? ????. You can use our pages for more info. Here’s one:
    https://www.howtocallabroad.com/results.php?callfrom=australia&callto=australia

Also, see this more detailed article on how international roaming works:
    https://www.howtocallabroad.com/qa/international-roaming.html

wateron
    Participant

So if I wanted to call Air New Zealand at Sydney Intl I would dial;

0+2 13 24 76?

and to dial any other number in Sydney if would be;

0+2 then the number?

admin
    Participant

No. This is a type of short number and you don’t add an area code to it. I think you dial it as is: 132476.

As for adding 02 to Sidney numbers: only landlines use area codes in Australia and most countries outside North America. So yes, calling landlines in Sidney should start with 02 followed by 8 more digits, while cell phones start with 04.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam