Please help! Daughter is studying abroad in South Korea

Forums Forums Questions answered Please help! Daughter is studying abroad in South Korea

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    htherjo
    Participant

Hello!

Any help you can give is so greatly appreciated! My daughter is studying in South Korea for the Spring semester and took her iPhone with her. We have Verizon and had the Global plan turned on for her. She can call us and we can talk to her just fine, but no one in South Korea can call her. She also cannot receive calls from anyone besides her dad and I, I’m thinking some kind of family plan thing. Can anyone help us figure out how to call into an American phone while in South Korea? Maybe we’re over thinking it…

jaunty_mellifluous
    Participant

Reason why people they can’t call her is because her number is International for them. It’s like calling America from South Korea for them. She should probably get a local SIM from there as well so that locals can call her there on her phone on that number.

But to call her local SIM if she decides to get one you will have to dial differently.

admin
    Participant

As stated above, for your daughter to receive calls from people in South Korea they must dial as if she were in the US: 001 1 ??? ??? ????. They will also pay international charges. I’m not sure why people from the US haven’t been able to reach her – make sure they know how to dial (some people don’t realize that they don’t need to add any international dialing codes; just have them dial her regular US number with no additions to it). Although I haven’t heard of this plan allowing only family members to call someone carrying their phone in another country, it is possible that Verizon has this option. You should know better (calling Verizon might help).

At least for communicating within South Korea your daughter would likely be better off buying a local SIM card – this way locals would be able to call her without incurring international charges (she would probably pay less too). If she also wants to keep her US number she could get a basic low cost prepaid phone/plan.

htherjo
    Participant

Thank you so much for your help! I didn’t realize the folks in South Korea would incur international charges…that alone made us decide to get her a local SIM card. Again, thanks for your help!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam