HowtoCallAbroad.com forums » Questions answered

Ring tone on US cellphone in Mexico?

(5 posts)
  1. nomar

Hello,

I am traveling to Mexico and plan to buy a plan to use my US AT&T cell phone while I am there.

My question is: will the phone ring differently? Will people in the US know that I am in Mexico?

Thanks!
    Nora

Posted 6 years ago #
  2. admin
    Key Master

Hi Nora. Normally people calling you from the US would not notice any difference and would dial your number as they usually do. The only situation in which one might be able to hint at your whereabouts is where your phone would be turned off or located in a non coverage area and people calling you would hear a message played by the Mexican operator (likely in Spanish). I would double check with AT&T in regard to what company would play the non coverage/off message as I am not 100% sure that the Mexican operator would play it.

Posted 6 years ago #
  3. nomar

Thank you! My issue is that I would like to work from Mexico, and I do not want my US-based clients to get put off by hearing a different ring or thinking that they will have to pay international fees to call me. I will check with AT&T. I really appreciate your help- this is a valuable resource with information that isn't easily found elsewhere.

Posted 6 years ago #
  4. Justin

I also do not want my clients to know when I am in Mexico. Last time I was there my phone beeped when I was making outgoing calls and people who called me said it beeped instead of ring. Is there away to make it work normal so my clients do not know I am calling internationally?

Posted 8 months ago #
  5. admin
    Key Master

Hi Justin,

It's impossible to control the way your mobile phone rings when using it abroad on a foreign network. It is by now a well known fact that, when traveling to another country, people calling you can tell you are abroad by the way the call connects: there is a slight delay before they can hear the first ring and the ring type may be and usually is different.

If you don't want people calling you to know that you are abroad I believe there is a solution. It is called VoIP or Voice over IP. In case you don't know what it is, VoIP is a telephone service which uses a broadband Internet connection instead of a traditional telephone line to connect.

VoIP services have evolved a great deal over the years and today you can subscribe to really complex, feature rich plans. And one important feature is mobility: you can take the service with you or even use an app on your smart phone. The only condition: having a good connection to the Internet. Of course, when you are not connected you can forward incoming calls to a voicemail message or to a different number (your regular cell number - in this case people calling you would hear the foreign ring).

One of the popular services that comes to mind is Vonage, but there are others too. Check out their plans, talk to them, tell them exactly how/where you plan to use their service and what your concerns are.

Posted 8 months ago #

You must log in to post.