student in Spain – best way to call

Forums Forums Questions answered student in Spain – best way to call

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    3sisters
    Participant

My daughter leaves for Spain this week and I am still trying to figure out the best way to contact her. she will be there four months. I know about Skype, but would like to be able to call when she is not able to get an internet connection. She says she plans to buy a go phone and sim car d there- will that allow her to call us? And can I call that phone? Her US phone will not take a sim card ( she has a blackberry) in Spain. If you have suggestions for how to do this cheaply I would appreciate it. Thanks.

admin
    Participant

Hello,

If the Blackberry phone is locked with a certain US provider it would need to be unlocked before being used in Europe with a local SIM card. It wouldn’t hurt to ask the customer reps in Spain before buying a new phone. Sure, less fancy phones can be quite cheap in Europe so this will likely be your daughter’s best option. With a prepaid package over there she will get a regular cell number you will be able to call without any problems. Note that you will pay international charges that are higher than what you would pay for calling fixed lines (the good news is that only you, the caller will incur charges). Make sure you know the rates before calling (calling cards are usually the best option when dialing abroad). Your daughter will also be able to call you using her prepaid cell, but rates can be a bit high.

Here’s what you will dial for calls from the US to Spain and from Spain to the US.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam