Texting messages from Russia to USA cell phones??

Forums Forums Questions answered Texting messages from Russia to USA cell phones??

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Guinevere
    Participant

My phone is American and I seem to get through okay ti my friend’s cell phone who is Russian. He seems to be having a lot of problems that his text messages aren’t going through to my cell phone number and we’re not sure if we have all the right numbers including my own phone.

I appreciate all your help.

Guinevere.

admin
    Participant

Hello Guinevere,

Your friend should enter +1 ??? ??? ????. The plus sign in the beginning can be entered pressing the star key (*) twice on some phones. Also, your friend must make sure he subscribes to a wireless plan that allows international calling/texting.

Guinevere
    Participant

I have to add 011 and then 7 and then my cell phone number and it goes through smoothly. He tried doing 011 and then my number and it didn’t go through. 🙁

So if he adds the plus sign and 1 after it and the my number, it should go through??

admin
    Participant

011 works from the US and Canada. Other countries have different exit codes. Russia’s exit code is 810 with a pause between 8 and 10. This works for calls, but in order to send text messages you must use the plus sign instead. The plus sign replaces the exit code. You too could use the plus sign instead of 011 when calling/texting to an international number using your US cell phone.

Guinevere
    Participant

Well I gave him these numbers to try, I’m not even sure if thus will work. 🙂

8 + 1 + 616 and then my number

OR

+ 1 + 616 and then my number.

Will those work?

admin
    Participant

As I advised you above the correct way to dial is: + 1 616 ??? ????. You must literally enter the plus sign before 1.

Guinevere
    Participant

Well he tried the + 1 and then 616 and got nothing. Yes his phone does send out text messages.

admin
    Participant

This is the correct way to send texts. If they don’t go through the problem is somewhere else. Sorry, but it’s hard for me to guess what it is. Often texting does not work because of different technologies used by the two wireless providers. Advise your Russian friend to call his wireless provider and inquire about this.

admin
    Participant

This is the correct way to send texts. If they don’t go through the problem is somewhere else. Sorry, but it’s hard for me to guess what it is. Often texting does not work because of different technologies used by the two wireless providers/networks. Advise your Russian friend to call his wireless provider and inquire about this.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam