Uk mobile in USA

Forums Forums Questions answered Uk mobile in USA

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Delroy
    Participant

I cannot make calls in USA on my UK mobile.
    International roaming is enabled and I am on the T mobile network but when I dial I just get an error message.
    Can you help please.

admin
    Participant

Hello,
    What error message are you getting?
    Have you been able to place any calls with your UK mobile since arriving in the US? How do you dial US numbers?

Delroy
    Participant

Hi
    Thank you.
    Usually something like “your call cannot be completed as dialled”.
    I have made no successful calls!
    I think I have tried every permutation but I thought you could just dial the 10 digit number like a local.
    It doesn’t work.

admin
    Participant

Yes, you should be able to dial calls just like locals do, either 10 digits or 1 followed by 10 digits. If you can’t call there is an issue with your roaming plan. Try dialing a UK number (011 44 7xxx xxx xxx is how a UK cell number dialed from the US looks like). You need to know whether your phone actually works. If you can place a call, any call, then you should be able to call within the US as well.

Delroy
    Participant

Thank you for your reply.
    I should be able to make calls anywhere.
    My network says:

You’ve got international roaming turned on. This means you can make calls and send texts while you’re abroad.

I can call UK alright from USA so the phone is fine.
    I just can’t understand it.

admin
    Participant

That is strange indeed. I would look for a T Mobile vendor (or whatever network is displayed on your screen) and go ask them to take a look at your phone.

There are 3 ways to dial US numbers while in the US:
    -using just the 7 digit local number (this works for areas where only one area code is used; there are many geographic areas in the US where 2 or more area codes are used)
    -dialing the 3 digit area code followed by the 7 digit local number
    -dialing 1 followed by the 10 digits above.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam