US cell phones in New Zealand

Forums Forums Questions answered US cell phones in New Zealand

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    patcas
    Participant

Number sequence to call a US cell phone from a US cell phone in New Zealand? In addition, how to call those US cells from the USA? I assume the phone number form is 1-(area code)-XXX-XXXX.

admin
    Participant

Hello Patrick,
    Nothing changes in the way other people call a cel phone roaming in another country. In other words, people from the US or from any country will dial your number as if you were in the US.

What changes is the way you place calls from a cellular using a foreign wireless carrier. Instead of using 011 to call internationally you will use 00 in New Zealand. Moreover, you will dial local numbers in their local format.

To call a US cell also in NZ you wil basically dial as if you were calling the US and the call will then be redirected back to NZ: 00 1 ??? ??? ????. Both phones will incur international charges unless otherwise stated by your wireless company.

I hope this helps.

patcas
    Participant

So..if someone in the US desired to call my US cell in NZ, he/she would simply key in 00-1-???-???-???? and….while back in NZ, US cell #1 would key 1-???-???-???? to raise US cell #2

admin
    Participant

That’s incorrect. That’s exactly the opposite of what I said above. I said that people call you AS IF you were in the US. Do people in the US ever dial 00 1 ??? ??? ???? to reach you when you are in the US? Not likely. They dial 1 ??? ??? ????.

When you are in NZ with your US cell, in order to call another US cell also in NZ you will use 00 1 ??? ??? ????.

I hope this is clearer. Below is a link to an article on this site explaining international roaming in detail:
    https://www.howtocallabroad.com/qa/international-roaming.html

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam