HowtoCallAbroad.com forums » Questions answered

US cell used in Germany to German cell phone

(6 posts)
  1. vbbriggs

I have a U.S. cell phone, but will be traveling in Germany. If I call a German cell phone, what prefix should I dial? The number I was given starts with 011 49 1 609 or he said to try 01 49...I have to give the number to someone else, so I want to make sure first.
    Thank you.

Posted 7 years ago #
  2. admin
    Key Master

011 49 is used to call Germany from the US. 011 is the international access code for dialing abroad from the US and 49 is Germany's country code. When in Germany, even with a US cell you will no longer need to dial 011 or 49. You will dial German phone numbers the way locals do. If you reply with the whole number you were provided with I will tell you what to dial when in Germany. You can replace the last 3 digits with ??? if you don't want to disclose the number.

Posted 7 years ago #
  3. srhardy8

I will also travel in Germany with a US cell phone, and will be visiting with friends from Sweden who have a Swedish cell. How do I make calls to them and vice versa while we're on the German network?

Posted 7 years ago #
  4. admin
    Key Master

Hello,

You call them as if you would call Sweden from Germany and they call you as if you were in the US:
    -you to Swedish cell: 00 46 7?? ?? ?? ??;
    -your friends to your US cell: 00 1 ??? ??? ????.

Note that you will both pay international roaming charges for both placed and received calls.

Posted 7 years ago #
  5. vbbriggs

Thank you for responding. The number I was given is 011 49 609 2237???

Posted 7 years ago #
  6. admin
    Key Master

In your first post you also included digit 1 before 609. I suppose you left it out by mistake in your last post? Anyway, all German cell numbers start with digit 1. So, if your friend gave you 011 49 16092237??? you should dial 016092237??? (the starting zero is added when calling within Germany only).

Posted 7 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.