US cell used in Germany to German cell phone

Forums Forums Questions answered US cell used in Germany to German cell phone

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vbbriggs
    Participant

I have a U.S. cell phone, but will be traveling in Germany. If I call a German cell phone, what prefix should I dial? The number I was given starts with 011 49 1 609 or he said to try 01 49…I have to give the number to someone else, so I want to make sure first.
    Thank you.

admin
    Participant

011 49 is used to call Germany from the US. 011 is the international access code for dialing abroad from the US and 49 is Germany’s country code. When in Germany, even with a US cell you will no longer need to dial 011 or 49. You will dial German phone numbers the way locals do. If you reply with the whole number you were provided with I will tell you what to dial when in Germany. You can replace the last 3 digits with ??? if you don’t want to disclose the number.

srhardy8
    Participant

I will also travel in Germany with a US cell phone, and will be visiting with friends from Sweden who have a Swedish cell. How do I make calls to them and vice versa while we’re on the German network?

admin
    Participant

Hello,

You call them as if you would call Sweden from Germany and they call you as if you were in the US:
    -you to Swedish cell: 00 46 7?? ?? ?? ??;
    -your friends to your US cell: 00 1 ??? ??? ????.

Note that you will both pay international roaming charges for both placed and received calls.

vbbriggs
    Participant

Thank you for responding. The number I was given is 011 49 609 2237???

admin
    Participant

In your first post you also included digit 1 before 609. I suppose you left it out by mistake in your last post? Anyway, all German cell numbers start with digit 1. So, if your friend gave you 011 49 16092237??? you should dial 016092237??? (the starting zero is added when calling within Germany only).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam