Using us cell phones in 2 different countries

Forums Forums Questions answered Using us cell phones in 2 different countries

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michsha
    Participant

I have verizon cell service and will be on a cruise to bahamas. My sister will be in Costa Rica and has At&t. Both phones are from usa. We want to text each other instead of calling because the rates are more reasonable.
    I am confused as to how this works.

1. Do I need to activate international roaming?

2. But there won’t be any actual roaming charges as long as we do not use voice, right?

3. Do we dial as though we are both in the united states still? Do we need country codes? Costa rica = 506 Bahamas = 242.

4. Let’s say my cell phone number is 716-123-4567. In usa someone just dials 123-4567 and reaches me. How EXACTLY would my sister reach me from costa rica while I am in the Bahamas.

5. Would she reach me the same way if I am on a cruise ship? The ship has international roaming.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    Michele

admin
    Participant

Hi Michsa,

You must both activate international roaming – even texting has different rates if done from abroad. Ask you wireless provider about rates.

You won’t dial as if you were in the US. People from the US will dial your numbers as if you were in the US. You will dial each other as if the other was in the US. For example: to call/text you from Costa Rica your sister will dial: 00 1 716 123 4567. For you to call/text your sister in Costa Rica you will dial 1 716 123 4567 because the Bahamas is part of the North American Numbering Plan.

You should be reached the same way on a ship.

More info on:
    https://www.howtocallabroad.com/results.php?callfrom=costa_rica&callto=united_states
    https://www.howtocallabroad.com/results.php?callfrom=bahamas&callto=united_states

Michsha
    Participant

Thank you very much! I will be trying this out shortly!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam