HowtoCallAbroad.com forums » Questions answered

Using us cell phones in 2 different countries

(3 posts)
  1. Michsha

I have verizon cell service and will be on a cruise to bahamas. My sister will be in Costa Rica and has At&t. Both phones are from usa. We want to text each other instead of calling because the rates are more reasonable.
    I am confused as to how this works.

1. Do I need to activate international roaming?

2. But there won't be any actual roaming charges as long as we do not use voice, right?

3. Do we dial as though we are both in the united states still? Do we need country codes? Costa rica = 506 Bahamas = 242.

4. Let's say my cell phone number is 716-123-4567. In usa someone just dials 123-4567 and reaches me. How EXACTLY would my sister reach me from costa rica while I am in the Bahamas.

5. Would she reach me the same way if I am on a cruise ship? The ship has international roaming.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
    Michele

Posted 8 years ago #
  2. admin
    Key Master

Hi Michsa,

You must both activate international roaming - even texting has different rates if done from abroad. Ask you wireless provider about rates.

You won't dial as if you were in the US. People from the US will dial your numbers as if you were in the US. You will dial each other as if the other was in the US. For example: to call/text you from Costa Rica your sister will dial: 00 1 716 123 4567. For you to call/text your sister in Costa Rica you will dial 1 716 123 4567 because the Bahamas is part of the North American Numbering Plan.

You should be reached the same way on a ship.

More info on:
    http://www.howtocallabroad.com/results.php?callfrom=costa_rica&callto=united_states
    http://www.howtocallabroad.com/results.php?callfrom=bahamas&callto=united_states

Posted 8 years ago #
  3. Michsha

Thank you very much! I will be trying this out shortly!

Posted 8 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.