HowtoCallAbroad.com forums » Questions answered

Valid number

(4 posts)
  1. Robert

I Dial a UK number from Canada I know to be valid, but I'm told it is not in service?
    Why can I not look this number up in a UK directory free of charge?

Posted 4 years ago #
  2. admin
    Key Master

Hi Robert. Maybe you've been dialing it wrong? Let me have a look at the whole dialing sequence (you can replace the last 2 digits with xx).

Posted 4 years ago #
  3. Robert

Thanks for the offer, I called relatives in UK and had them contact the person I was attempting to dial and found I was missing a few numbers ... all ok now.

However, I would still like to know WHY a person needs to pay, simply to look up a phone number in the BT Phone Directory. I don't have to pay phone companies anywhere in N. America to view their directories. This must be one of those "get rich quick" schemes for British Telephone. Money-grabbing suckers.

Posted 4 years ago #
  4. admin
    Key Master

You can find a UK person's phone by name or address using an online phone directory such as http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/index.publisha

Unlike the US you can't reverse search a UK phone number online. Calling a UK directory inquiry service costs money and I believe dialing 411 in the US isn't free either. I guess they don't allow online reverse searches to avoid losing the income generated by people calling directory inquiry numbers.

Posted 4 years ago #

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.