What is the shortest possible international number from the US?

Forums Forums Questions answered What is the shortest possible international number from the US?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    bszurgot
    Participant

I’m currently working on some code to collect international student emergency contact numbers. We need to ensure that we are getting valid numbers, so I’ve instructed all international number to start with the “+” followed by the country code, then the rest of the number. Doing some research, I’m finding it difficult to discern what the shortest possible number will be if the country code is first entered. (I’m leaving out the “011” – we’re assuming that for every number that starts with a “+”) So does anyone know if there are countries where the country code plus the rest of the number can be shorter than 10 digits?

Thank you!

admin
    Participant

Hello,

Smaller countries (especially small islands) use fewer digits in their telephone numbers. One example:
    https://www.howtocallabroad.com/st-helena/

There are others. Our pages provide the number of digits for both landlines and mobile phones in all countries. To assist you further here’s the official ITU list displaying all the codes you need (PDF doc):
    https://www.itu.int/dms_pub/itu-t/opb/sp/T-SP-E.164C-2011-PDF-E.pdf

The National Significant Number is what you should be looking for and add the country code to it for the total number of digits.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Heads-up

Some information on these forums could be outdated - countries change their numbering plans periodically. We recommend using our top menu to double check the correct instructions for dialing to a specific country.

User input paused

As of October 11, 2022 we no longer accept new user registrations or existing topic replies. Please contact us directly if you have a question or browse the older forum topics for answers.

Popular forum topics

Argentina Australia call calling call uk Canada cell cell phone charges chile China collect calls country code philippines emergency call england faxing france germany Help Indonesia international international calling Iran Iraq Ireland Israel italy Japan korea Kuwait landline long distance MEXICO mobile Morocco nepal New Zealand Nigeria norway Peru philippines portugal prepaid saudi arabia SMS Spain text texting toll free Turkey UK ukraine united states US usa us cell phone abroad Vietnam